Since the beginning, the PNP Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) formerly
known as the Criminal Investigation Service (CIS) of the then Philippine constabulary
(PC) during the Martial Law years, has been at the forefront of the country's formidable
war against all forms of crimes and criminality
From January 19, 1950, the CIDG like any other operating arm of the Philippines
National Police, has undergone changes in its nomenclature, i.e.., from CIS to Criminal
Investigation Service Command (CISC) to Crimiinal Investigation Command (CIC) to
Criminal Investigation Group (CIG) and finally, the Criminal Investigation Detection
All its past Chief and Directors, including the present Command Group, have by far,
contributed wholeheartedly to the fulfillment of its vision, mission and function
at the extreme sacrifice of life and limb. Their combined efforts have made the
CIDG a formidable and vaunted fighting until that it is today. It has maintained
and lived up to its prestige as the premier investigative arm of the Philippine
National Police, mandated to combat crimes and safeguard our national democracy,
peace and order.
Free from politics, ininterrupted by territorial limitations and countrywide in
scope, the CIDG performs the following missions:
1. To undertake the monitoring, investigation and prosecution of all crimes involving
economic savotage and other crimes of such magnitude and extent as to indicate their
commission by highly-placed professional syndicates or organizations; and,
2. To investigate all major cases involving violation of the Revised Penal Code
(RPC) and to conduct operations against organized crime groups (OCGs), unless the
president assigns the case exclusively to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI)
The CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION AND DETECTION GROUP
is committed to a vision of a dynamic, responsible and well-equipped primary investigative
arm manned by the best qualified and highly-motivated professionals in search of
truth and justice.
1. Monitors, iinvestigates and prosecutes all crime involving economic sabotage
like bank frauds, large scale smuggling, estafa, dollar salting, hoarding, profiteering
and other crimes of such magnitude and extent as to indicate their commission by
highly placed or Professional syndicates and organizations.
2. Investigates all major cases involving vioation of the Revised Penal Code
3. Conducts operations againstnotorious wanted persons and organized crime group
particularly those engaged in armed robbery, kidnapping-for-ransom, gun-for-hire
and illegal possession and trafficking of firearms and explosives.
4. Provide direct support to the PNP field units in the investigation and solution
of major crimes especially those requiring specialized investigative techniques
and intensive follow-up.
5. Investigates cases involving violations of Special Laws, which are expressly
assigned to the group such as Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices, Illegal Recruitment
and Illegal Possession/Trafficking of Firearms and Explosives.
6. Assist in the prosecution of cases investigated by the group and in the crime
prevention effort of the PNP Field Units.
7. Identifies documents and investigates the atrocities committed by the CPP/NPA/NDF
and file criminal cases with the Civil Courts and Commision on Human Rights
8. Performs such other functions as the higher authorities may direct.